View Single Post
Old 14th November 2012, 11:51 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Even something like Martin (?)

I remember during the height of the James Bulger scare in the mid-90's, one MP (whose name I can't recall right now) seriously suggested that all 18-cert films be removed from the video shops, until a collegue suggested this would have to include films like The Godfather, where upon the MP quietly withdrew his suggestion...
Alton never backed down, though. He wanted to introduce legislation that nothing higher than a 15 cert. could be made available to the public. Alton had the backing of The Sun (owned by Murdoch) until Alton started saying that Sky (also owned by Murdoch) should be more heavily regulated, whereupon The Sun suddenly dropped the story altogether - save for one last lie. The Sun claimed that Child's Play 3 had been banned and that they (The Sun) had won. Just to tie up the news story. But it never was banned, that headline was a lie (what a surprise). Anyway, I believe Alton was bestowed with honours from places like the Catholic Church, of which he is a member. Basically he was paid off in kind in order to shut him up.

Interestingly, at this time, Blockbuster also stated that they wanted to become more family-orientated and also suggested that they would be happy to stock nothing higher than a 15. Certainly glad that never happened. I guess this is why I've never been a big fan of Blockbuster, together with that maniac David Alton they nearly ruined the UK home video scene.