View Single Post
Old 21st November 2012, 08:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Yes I tried putting 1 Gb in slot 1 and 512 Mb in slot 2.
Doesn't that work?
I then just tried 1 Gb in slot 1 with nothing in slot 2 but wouldn't boot either...

I've now ordered the exact same ram as was in there (512 Mb) so I'll get a pair with that I guess. (2x512).
If the 1GB isn't working on its own I would suggest that there is a problem with that.

It's strange that it won't boot with the old and the new one in, even if the new one doesn't work your laptop should still come on but if you looked at the specs it wouldn't find the new memory. I don't know whether this an issue with them not being a matched pair.

Now this could be incorrect but I do believe there can be problems, even if they are the exact manufacturer or pairing RAM up and best to buy in pairs of course no computer people have said that to me so I'm not 100% sure and the only computer book I have to hand is TCP/IP Illustrated which isn't being read

Crucial are usually reliable for memory, I've never bothered with amazon for anything other than external peripherals and video cards.

Crucial

It's a handy site anyway just to be doubly sure you are getting the right thing for your model. It might be worth just calling them and be cheeky by asking them what could be the problem with the one you got from elsewhere.