View Single Post
Old 14th June 2009, 12:12 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
When discussing the future of horror or the genre as a whole ,I think we can become blinkered by our own obsessions within the genre.I think that the genre is piss poor at present with remakes and sequels being the order of the day but I work with a couple of horror fans who love them and think we are in a golden age of horror.The sheer volume of films coming out seems to support this view if you don't use quality as a yard stick.

The genre has always had its low points,look at the 1940s and 1950s not a lot there untill Hammer got going.

There are good films out there being made it's just finding them.

I think we may actually be the problem not the genre as we are the elite of horror fans and demand the best.We are willing to go that bit further to search out treasures both old and new where as mainstream fans are happy with what they are given.We are willing to give ourselves wholeheartedly to the genre when few do.I think this is why, on occasion we can feel the genre is losing its way because it doesn't put in the same effort as ourselves!
Great post MTDS, I agree it is a bit of a 'treasure hunt' with plenty of hit's and misses along the way, and as you pointed out , because we are so passionate about these films there is a great feeling of disappointment when viewing a film that (to us) seems to lack this passion.

A point I'd like to bring-up, which sort of backs up what Peter was also saying is what horror released in the 00's will be considered classics of the future? For instance will the next generation of fans and forums be debating how good Saw is, or whether the Last House on the Left remake is superior to the original? The problem is we lack some perspective on this matter, as we are judging what we view now from our past experiences of the genre, whether they be good or bad and not in a longevical sense; i.e. in 10 years from now will new films such as Martyrs, Drag Me to Hell, Splinter, The Saws be remembered and hailed by many or will they just be forgotten cult relics?