View Single Post
Old 21st January 2013, 01:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Recent viewings:

Berberian Sound Studio (2012) - a far more appreciative second viewing. A film about the sound of horror and the horror of sound. And much more. Has a dreamy Lynchian "is it or isn't it?" vibe which seems to be open to different interpretations without it seeming like a cop out. Excellent sound design too. I can't wait to watch it again with the commentary, not in hope of a concrete of an explanation but just to find out more about the film's production.

Django Unchained (2012) - an excellent, if at times frustrating, entry into Tarantino's filmography. Uncomfortable at times but also darkly witty with some excellent scenes of violence towards the end, it wears its influences on its sleeve but in a way which will won't annoy Tarantino aficionados (although I doubt it'll change the mind of his detractors much). The performances are uniformly excellent; the interaction between Jaime Fox and Christoph Waltz is fantastic, DiCaprio is magnificently evil and disgusting and Samuel L Jackson practically steals the show with his disturbing portrayal as a house slave. Some moments don't work (the jarring Jonah Hill comedy scene for one), Tarantino's "G'day mayte!" appearance is a shocker and it could have been leaner, tighter and 30 minutes shorter but overall I was very impressed.

Dead and Buried (1981) - feels like a Stephen King story done by John Carpenter. Or something. I really enjoyed this. That is all

Smiley (2012) - Bloody Mary for the Chatroulette age. Candyman for the terminally braindead. A group of college kids become involved in the urban legend of Smiley; a killer who is summoned if you type "I did it for the lulz" 3 times to someone via video chat. I am not making this up. Needless to say it's abysmal. Plot hole upon plot hole combine with bad performances and dialogue to make a laughable attempt at a new slasher franchise with an absurd nonsensical ending.
Dead & Burried is a favourite of mine! So weird and twisted and right up my alley. I'm going to see Django Unchaines a week on Thursday. I can't wait!!!!