View Single Post
Old 11th February 2013, 10:23 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
I bought an older dvd just for the original artwork while I already owned the newly remastered dvd...
So one to look at and one to watch I guess...
As a commercial artist, DVD covers make up about 30% of my income so obviously I'm biased but I think Graham Humphreys hit it on the head when he said that the most important benefit of putting good artwork on a disc is that it tells the public that the distributer has a high regard for both his product and his customer. I recently bought a steelbook of Curse of the Werewolf to gen up on the film for a DarkSide illustration. I got it at a knocked down price despite the fact the two disc set was loaded with goodies and I'm convinced that's because the cover art stunk! Elektrocity would have bunged a decent artist (or me!) a few hundred quid and made this a really attractive buy.
I do agree that alot of the original covers are pretty unbeatable. When I got handed The Beyond to do I checked out the original posters and nearly pooped myself! Arrow of course wouldn't expect me to turn out in a week something comparable to what Europe's finest poster designers did back in the 80's but as attractive as those great artworks were, they've been fronting videos and DVD's for years.
I do think that it's no coincidence that the most successsful DVD distributers today are the ones that make an effort to offer original attractive packaging.
So there.