View Single Post
Old 6th May 2013, 05:53 PM
Cultist in Training

Default Near Dark (1987)

My apologies if this has already had a dedicated thread (I have already read and enjoyed The Lost Boys vs Near Dark thread, but that's closed so I can't add to it) but I couldn't find one, so I thought I'd be so bold as claim that Near Dark is the greatest vampire film ever! I love The Lost Boys, I really do, but Near Dark is the stronger film. It's beautiful, gory, funny, atmospheric and intense. It has great music (mostly, there are some dated moments here and there), amazing photography, a terrific script, and of course, it has the barroom scene, which is one of the best scenes in any film, ever!

What are your thoughts on this film? Obviously, The Lost Boys is its closest contemporary, but it also belongs to a bigger range of vampire films from the eighties like Fright Night, Vamp, The Hunger, etc.

Forgive the plug, but my fellow movie junkie friend and I have recorded a fan commentary for Near Dark which is available to listen (or download for free), so feel free to listen to our ramblings!

Near Dark (1987) Fan Audio commentary – Listen on my blog or download for free! | Angstinmypants's Blog