Thread: Why Horror?
View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2009, 07:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Horror as a genre offers the widest range of emotions and allows you to face and deal with both, primal fears and those dark, irrational corners in the human mind. Acknowledging them gives you a much better idea about yourself as a human being....and I don't care if that sounds pathetic as that's simply my take on the genre, both as a (struggling) writer and a regular horror movie viewer.

kathyacker wrote: "and its ridiculous, but even now, in my 20s, i get a slight kinda rebellious, transgressive thrill from buying/watching them because they were forbidden when i was subject to my parent's control! and at the same time a guilt-shifting thing, because i watch them and see that there is nothing at all 'wrong' about watching (most of) them."

That is SOOOOO true, particularly for me as a German horror fan, as the very active censorship over there still turns the simple act of watching the likes of "Dawn of the Dead", "Phantsam" or "Halloween 2" into rebellious behaviour, as those flicks still can't be legally sold in Germany...and yes, the year is 2009!