View Single Post
Old 7th July 2013, 02:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Inside..I'm sorry, but I have to call it by its original title.. A'l'interieur is not only the best of the French new wave, but my favourite horror of the last decade. I LOVE that film. I first saw it at an early hours screening during a frightfest all nighter and it was an unbelievably intense experience.

I was hugely anticipating Livide, but found it ultimately hollow. Pretty to look at in parts, but really quite pedestrian. I could hardly fathom it was by the same directors.

Martyrs I also have a great love for, and I think it's an incredible film. I remember seeing it for the second time in a near empty Parisian cinema with my other half who was traumatised throughout. No subs, but it oddly didn't need it - and that shows the strength of the movie. I also have great love for Pascal Laugier's debut, Saint Ange (House of Voices) which is an excellent haunted orphanage film with almost Fulciesque elements in places. And one that's far superior to modern Spanish chillers like The Orphange or The Awakening.

The Tall Man, Laugiers third and most Hollywood is a neat ideas film, but it's also his least interesting of the three. I liked it, but it doesn't hold up to his two previous films.