View Single Post
Old 1st August 2013, 03:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Since the 1980s it has been so easy for fans of any genre to watch their favourite films due to home video beginning with VHS leading up to today's Blu Rays. I never had a VHS player until I was 26 and married and so had to see films at the cinema or wait until they were screened on one of the 3, and later 4, tv channels. I had no control over what films would be on telly over the weekend.

The next best thing was books and I was a literary sponge absorbing everything I could on the famous and not so famous monsters, Dennis Gifford's "Pictorial History of Horror Movies" was on an almost indefinite loan to me from the Firth Park Library in Sheffield. The other BIG influences at this time were the Warren Publications "Creepy" and "Eerie" comics, as well as good stories and art they had all these cool adverts in them for things like Metaluna Mutant masks and other stuff that was impossible to get over hear. In the mid to late '70s was e series of horror films, mostly "Hammer" and "Amicus," that I and all my friends would watch and talk about for the rest of the week.

Other early influences have to be TV series like "Doctor Who", "The Invaders", "The Night Gallery", "Doomwatch" and the "Twilight Zone". AND, we can't forget the great BBC Christmas Ghost Stories.

Monster Magnet