View Single Post
Old 21st November 2013, 04:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I don't want t' get into a Marvel U versus DC U but I do think Marvel have the edge at the mo'. "Green Lantern" was...iffy, the old "Batman" movies and the more recent "Dark Knight" trilogy were great (on the whole), "Cat Woman" (shiver), "Swamp Thing" ah you'd all forgotton about him, "Constantine" great (SCOUSE not wooden) character, the old "Superman" and, indeed, "Supergirl" were okay-ish, "Superman Returns" (yawn), and last but not least, "Man of Steel"...ooh, contentious!

On the Marvel side of the fence: "Spiderman" films, "Amazing" or not, have been relatively good (treat 'em like the old "Batman" movies), "X-Men" much the same, "Punisher" if you don't like these films you're better off watching romantic comedies, "Fantastic Four" er, a bit wet but I've always seen the FF as kiddie friendly, "Captain America" worth waiting for, "Avengers Assemble" would have been better if they could have gotten nearer to the original Avengers team (not even a look in from Spidey as his home town is trashed due to "contractual Obligations), "Ironman" gotta love ole tinribs, "Hulk" will always be tricky because of CGI, "Thor" Hemsworth was born for that role, and don't forget the "GL" of the Marvel movies, "Ghostrider" (or maybe we should forget...)

Both camps have heroes who should make great movies...

DC
The Flash, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, The Teen Titans, Aquaman, old favourites the Metal Men and Dial H, hell the whole Justice League.

Marvel
We've seen most of the first stringers but with "Antman", "Black Panther" and "Guardians of the Galaxy" in the works there are still a couple to call on, our own Captain Britain for instance, Captain Marvel or Ms Marvel, Ka-Zar, Deadpool, Silver Surfer (standalone movie), Prince Namor, The Inhumans.

Neither of these lists are exhaustive and I'm sure you can think of many more.

I like comics, I do have preferences but they are not for one publisher's Universe over another, rather I find some characters more "believable" than others and a lot of that "believability" is fixed in the mythos written into the characters from the very beginning. The DC mythos is not rooted in this Earth; there is no Gotham City or Starling City, Smallville or Metropolis. The Marvel Universe, on the other hand is grounded firmly on an Earth with a New York, a Liverpool and a London.

Character-wise Peter Parker has normal teenage angst and day to day problems, Bruce Banner is struggling with his inner demons and Frank Castle has been driven to the edge but Clark Kent looks like Superman in a suit and glasses and would crumple only in the presence of a green rock!

DC seems to be picking, with the exception of the Dark Knight, the least believable of their stable to adapt into film. There are enough Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Catwoman and Green Arrow stories to last them until the next millennium. Add to that Justice League, Birds of Prey and Teen Titans and you could have a credible answer to Marvel's "edge"!

I'm going for a lie down now, I've been far too rational for one day!
Great to see some love for Constatine. Great movie.

We need more movies from Vertigo comics, they're gold

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga