View Single Post
Old 16th March 2014, 02:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I agree with you. My cynicism towards the paradigm Daleks is certainly driven by what you have said above. Young children seemed to warm towards these tele-tubbie Daleks more for the promotional side than to effectively be threatning in a story like Victory. But just look at how meancing the Daleks looked in the grey and black colours during the 70's and 80's. Even that eye on the Dalek looked sinister. I'm certain that if the old colours were brought back to the improved gold Daleks, like we've seen in Doomsday with the Black Dalek, we would have the more sinister looking Daleks.

Too much reliance on bringing back the Daleks without thinking about writting a decent Dalek story that's truly memorable and one that will stand the test of time. Though I frown slightly on Remembrance of the Daleks from 1988. I still feel the Daleks had that malevolent touch that Moffat and to some degree Russell T. Davies didn't show in the more recent Dr Who/Dalek stories.
What you say is certainly true. I did think the Daleks in The Stolen Earth were scary. You can only base fear on a reaction, and the reaction of Sarah, Jack etc to the Dalek voices booming through the com systems brought with them great fear. I remember watching it with shivers running up my spine. Shame RT-D ballsed it all up with Journey's End.