View Single Post
Old 24th March 2014, 04:13 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Being ancient (41) i was lucky enough to see the original line up at Donington in 88. It was my very first gig - Helloween were the very first band i ever saw live.

To be honest the gig itself was ruined by a poor sound due to a swirling wind and the many stoppages for crowd control. (We had no idea anyone had lost their lives during the set until we got home). You could tell they were a raw hungry act at the time. I and my mates who went are actually briefly on the video to Paradise City which was partly filmed there. You have to pause it and really look at the crowd to spot us

The next time i saw them was at Maine Rd, Manchester on the Use Your Illusion tour in 92 supported by Faith No More and Soundarden. I then saw them at Milton Keynes Bowl on the same tour, a year later, then called the Skin n' Bones tour supported by The Cult, Soul Asylum and Blind Melon. By then the dynamics of the band had changed dramatically and they sat around on sofas for several songs .

I've not seen Axl and co since. I really didn't rate The Chinese Democracy bar a couple of tracks. For something that was something like twenty years in the making it really is piss poor.

I saw Velvet Revolver a couple of times too. They were good.

I posted a pic of my GN'R singles collection in this thread last year. http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/musi...lection-5.html. But it's posted below as well to save you looking.
Your lucky i was only 9 when they played Donnington, would of loved to see them back then, but it wasn't to be i was denied permission to see them in 92 at Milton Keynes so had to wait until 2002 to see them, again im biased as Axl could fart and i would think it was a masterpiece, but i think Chinese Democracy is a great album and will stand the test of time once the stigma of "oh it took 23 years to make"

i recognise a lot of things in your photo there, maybe one day Ill post my GNR collection for now here is my Chinese Democracy collection, with a signed Vinyl and CD