View Single Post
Old 17th November 2014, 08:43 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-T-C Tim View Post
It doesn't help that there are several sub-types of slasher film, I have not seen a huge number so the examples below are a little limited.

Films like the original Friday 13th and Sleepaway Camp are giallo-esque with the identity of the killer being a mystery and the focus of the storyline.

The later sequels in both series, as well as Hallowe'en have a known killer and usually provide a lot more detail of the gory killings. Within these we have the Hallowe'en type films were the killer is a known but largely unseen with the focus on the other characters or the Sleepaway Camp type films where the villain is the lead and we see them and carry out the killings in great detail.

Most confusingly the slasher genre crosses the line between human killers (as in Sleepaway Camp), humanesque but largely immortal (Jason and Michael) and purely supernatural (Freddy).
I agree completely. I was on the fence about whether the Nightmare on Elm Street films were slashers or supernatural, or whether its worth including sequels with established characters (except Halloween 2 because I consider that a top slasher)

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga