View Single Post
Old 27th March 2015, 12:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Great idea for a thread, Nordicdusk. I'm glad you suggested it, because indie-horror is one of my enduring fascinations - I'd write a book on it if I had more knowledge and could be arsed. This might be a slightly nerdy point, but the question of defining indie horror interests me - sometimes differentiating between studio product and independent releases isn't straightforward. And from there, do you keep with a kind of economic definition, or do you base it more on aesthetics... like, horror which combines 'Indie Cinema' tropes which have crystallised out of mostly American arthouse / underground filmmaking, or almost the opposite, real gutter level microbudget stuff made with a camcorder and some butcher's leftovers? Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic, but this does interest me.
Anyway, I would try to put up an attempt at a comprehensive list before Dem sinks his teeth in, but I watch so much of this kind of shit, it kind of flies past me and I just end up forgetting about it. I think some names are pretty important like Ryan Nicholson, Brian Paulin, Eric Stanze, Jeff Leroy. Here are a few titles, a smattering of indie 'classics' which have made some kind of impact on me over the last few years, but are only really what sprung to mind just now -

Unspeakable, Subconscious Cruelty, Hanger, Fetus, Ice From The Sun, Eyes Of The Werewolf, Beyond The Black Rainbow, Blood For Irina, The Tin Can Man, Absentia, The God Memoirs.

That's a pretty random assortment, but just goes to show how broad the topic is.
I very much agree with this...but i would also include the £3 trash you pick up from Amazon or supermarkets. Little gems you don't have to import an uncut version of - The Stitcher for example.