View Single Post
Old 7th April 2015, 10:54 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Some recommendations from me:

Exit Through the Gift Shop - The story of how an eccentric French shop keeper and amateur film maker attempted to locate and befriend the infamous street artist 'Banksy', only to have the artist turn the camera back on himself. If you're into urban/installation art in any way (or even if you aren't) this is a fairly interesting watch.

F for Fake - A documentary about fraud and fakery hosted by Orson Welles.

Haxan - A documentary about the history of witchcraft, told in a variety of styles, from illustrated slideshow to dramatised events of alleged real-life events, right up to the early twentieth century (when the film was made). A personal favourite of mine.

The Hellstrom Chronicle - A scientist explains how the savagery and efficiency of the insect world could result in their taking over the world... more of a docu-drama.

Las Hurdes - A surrealistic documentary portrait of the region of Las Hurdes, a remote region of Spain where civilisation has barely developed, showing how the local peasants try to survive without even the most basic utilities and skills.

Wisconsin Death Trip - An intimate, shocking and sometimes hilarious account of the disasters that befell one small town in Wisconsin during the final decade of the 19th century.

Honourable mention: Threads - A dramatisation of the probable consequences of a full scale nuclear war on an English community told in a pseudo-documentary style. One of the most horrific and powerful pieces of film-making I have ever seen.