Thread: Twin Peaks
View Single Post
Old 8th April 2015, 09:53 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
Lynch was hardly involved during the show's second season. He had direct involvement in four of the twenty-two episodes, by his own admission he rarely attended production meetings. Mark Frost was the one who held it all together (and at present he's still involved), Lynch was off making Wild At Heart. The much praised finale was written before Lynch's return (admittedly he reworked the red room scenes).

I'd rather Lynch be in the director's chair, but Mark Frost is more than capable and Showtime have the Lynch/Frost scripts to work from. There is still a lot to work with, I won't be giving up on it...yet.
I get what you're saying, I've often thought mark frost is the unsung hero of twin peaks. He is the storyteller whilst lynch brings the visual element to the story. Both are vital to the show. Frost only directed one which is pretty telling I think, maybe he's not as interested in directing and more focused on the writing.

Also, the scripts may have been written but what would have ended up being filmed by lynch is another thing. He has always improvised throughout his career, the long sequence you mention in the last episode for example, much of Mulholland drive as well, hell that's how the memorably scary character BOB came about, totally by accident. His episodes were always the best and I just don't think anyone else has that same style and command of tone and atmosphere that he has.