View Single Post
Old 15th April 2015, 12:52 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
To be honest, I'd rather Arrow leave the slashers to 88 - who are doing a fine job with their new slasher line and I hope their Italian line is just as successful - although I'm admittedly a little wary over some of the transfers we may get going off the problems Arrow and Raro have had in terms of certain Italian masters.

Arrow themselves have evolved into a more multi-genre cult label releasing all kinds of film, which of course opens themselves up to criticism when their multi-genre fans get an announcement that fails to impress based on personal tastes. I do feel they have realised the appeal of retro slashers mainly thanks to the success of companies such as 88 and Vinegar Syndrome and are now attempting to get a slice of the action.
I don't think it's healthy for the home video market when one company dominates completely, but Arrow has far more resources – both in terms of people and money – than 88, so it isn't (sadly) a level playing field and if both companies want a title, 88 will probably lose out. Also, Calum Waddell has been instrumental in the Slasher Classics range (he also landed, or tried to land, loads of titles for Arrow) and he is emigrating, so won't be available to offer his (freelance) services to 88.

Arrow do seem to be trying to be 'all things to all men' with the slashers and Academy releases, and everything in between (from Fangoria to Sight & Sound, if you will), so I wonder whether they will spread themselves too thin. When I looked at the extra features on Massacre Gun, it was really weird to see Tony Rayns present one of his visual essays on a non-Eureka/Masters of Cinema release!