View Single Post
Old 17th April 2015, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Thorn EMI distrubuted all Cannon Entertainment VHS rental titles in the UK. My father worked for Thorn's entertaiment arm in the early to late 1980's. Thorn released a big box version of the 1985 film Clockwise on the small box Thorn EMI label, then later a big box version released by Thorn appeared. Much rarer though. Then of course, the Cannon Screen Entertainment release which came in 1986 on rental in the UK.

Then when Thorn relinquished it's VHS entertainment arm in 1987, Weintraub took over the Cannon and Thorn EMI back catalouge. But not all of the Thorn EMI titles released by them from the 1980's. Some were released for the sell-thru market by Warner's. Some titles were given "first release status" on retail by Warner's, meaning that these films were never released during the Pre-Cert era. One title springs to mind out of many, Twice Around The Daffodils on the comedy capers Warner label. Other titles released by Thorn EMI reverted back to the licence holders who owned the films. But Warner's released quite a number of Thorn EMI titles. Just wish I kept my Warner Home Video retail dealer catalouges for WH, Smiths and Woolworths from 1988 to 93