Thread: VHS Mix-Tapes
View Single Post
Old 17th July 2015, 03:43 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default VHS Mix-Tapes

Hi everyone,

So, the other weekend I came across a very cool VHS tape in my local charity shop. I couldn't find much online about it, but it's basically a series of clips from Russian home videos of them trying to out do each other in crazy stuff. From eating freaky things to setting themselves on fire.

It's kind of like a Russian version of Jackass... except it's all clips from home videos and they're totally nuts.

The VHS was released by Bizarre Magazine it seems and was part of a series of VHS - this being the first one. The next in the series is called 'Sex'. Ha... yeah.

Anyone remember watching this back in the day?

When in the VHS Golden Age, do you remember watching any Mix-Tapes? I missed out on all of that (being too young) but it sounds awesome. A bunch of homemade tapes which would circuit around and contain crazy clips that people had come across on TV, other VHS, homevideos and so on.

I remember watching a retro VHS mix tape throw back called Retard-O-Thon a few years back and besides the really gross stuff, it was a lot of fun.

They're kind of like a deranged version of YouTube, before YouTube!

So, do you have any memories of these? Did you ever make any? Ever see any? It's a shame there's not really a DVD equivilant - that I know off anyway - now people can just send a link to a video clip online!