View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2015, 04:51 PM
Cult Addict

Hellraiser.
So here it goes, it's been a while since i last watched this and I'm gonna be honest i don't remember being massively impressed with the original last time around, i preferred the sequels, particularly the third.
But i put it on last night, not really expecting to be blown away and...well...its a film of two halfs isn't it. I spent the first 45 mins or so thinking that it did seem the same as last time I'd watched it. A little bland, a bit flat. Then it gets to about the 50 minute mark when Kirsty finally meets Uncle Frank and all hell breaks loose. From there on it starts to feel like a different film, the aesthetic just seems to change. I'm not sure if its intentional on Barkers part and its not something I'd thought before but it felt like the film purposely contrasted it very mundane (barring a few bits and pieces) first half with the more striking, nasty second. Characters such as the frustratingly whiny Kirsty or the incredibly boring 'we just want to be together' Larry become fiesty and relevant. It's no wonder that Doug Bradleys Pinhead became so popular, he's easily the best thing in the film and the most charismatic character in the film.
As for Arrows new blu, well it looks great in terms of detail and colour, so much brighter and more vibrant than either of the older dvds I've owned. Its pretty grainy though which always disappoints me, though I'm very well aware thats a personal thing.