View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2015, 07:08 PM
Cult Addict

Off to Manchester for a long weekend.

Saturday night saw me watching...

The Burbs

First part of a Grimm double bill, I know some here don't like it but its always been a personal favourite of mine. The cast, including Tom Hanks, Carrie Fisher, Bruce Dern, Corey Feldman and not forgetting Rick Ducommun are all uniformly excellent in a horror comedy classic that still holds up today. Certainly the audience were digging it quite a bit. I enjoy myself a lot each time I watch it, even through the pricey craft beer the venue was serving.

The Addams Family

Ex Coen Bros cinematographer Barry Sonnenfeld delivers one of the best screen adaptations of a classic 60's TV series I've seen. Admittedly there's not many out there so no real strong competition. The only flaw with it is that there are to many scenes set up purely to pun. Otherwise again, the cast is excellent, special nod to the late Raul Julia, a terrific actor who really delivers as Gomez. Some surprising blink and you'll miss it puns including grandma cooking with the Joy of cooking and greys anatomy at the table. Personally I prefer The Addams family to the munsters. The Munsters are too...obvious (for want of a better word) and clearly designed off the at that point well worn appeal of Universal Monster. The Addamses are a more f*** up family, rich old money gone to seed through incest. Overall still fun but not as good as the Burbs.

Spectre

Was supposed to be Goblin! However with Hotel, trains ect booked decided to give this a go. Firstly, I f*****g hate the theme, really bland. Other than that however the film is a first rate action-er that had me chuckling and entertained throughout. Its a barely contained secret who Cristoph Waltz is supposed to be, I'll not give it all away but he has a white cat. Sadly no hidden volcano lairs or ninjas however. Not as good as Skyfall but its like saying Good the bad and the ugly isnt as good as once upon a time in the west. Spectre is still a great bond flick.