View Single Post
Old 19th November 2015, 07:03 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I really shouldn't, but I am contemplating buying the Blu-ray sets of The Sopranos and The Wire, upgrading both from DVD, because they are brilliant and are currently priced £49.99 at Zavvi, which is the cheapest online, even without the current 10% off £30 offer.

I'm currently nearing the end of the first season of Boardwalk Empire, which is such a great show. I've seen the first season before, so look for to finishing it and moving on to the episodes I have seen.
I succumbed to temptation and ordered both. Interestingly, The Wire has been reframed and is in 1.78:1 widescreen rather than the 1.33:1 ratio in which it was filmed and first broadcast. David Simon has written an article on his website (which does contain a couple of spoilers, particularly the ending of the second season) about the exhaustive process.
I think the idea is a very good one and I'll be fascinated to see how it works, but I'll keep my DVDs because, due to the shot composition and the documentary 'feel', the full frame and widescreen versions seem like different tellings of the same story.

David Simon | The Wire in HD (updated with video clips)