View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2015, 07:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Lost Hearts/Ghost Stories for Christmas

Lost Hearts (1973)
Well believe it or not I have actually read abit of M,R,James, and find this Edwardian author to be very accessible writer, where as I find Lovecraft abit confusing and I lose track of where I am with his stories, ( Alright I'm abit thick) Lawrence Gordon Clark the director of Lost Hearts dismisses the idea that story about child abuse, well it certainly may not have been written or filmed that way but to me it certainly can be seen as a definite warning on the perils of an adult grooming a child,not for sex but for something equally abhorrent. Stephen played by Simon Gipps-Kent , is a young orphan who is sent away to live with his eccentric old cousin Mr Abney (Joseph O'Connor) at first Mr Abney seems the most congenial of hosts, welcoming the boy into his large mansion and letting him explore the grounds,Its during his explorations that he keeps seeing the figures of two young children, a boy and a girl. Susan Richards as Mrs. Bunch is the friendly cook who takes Stephen under her wing and tells him about the other children who have passed through.The Lost Hearts was originally aired on 25 December 1973,although there's never any reference to Christmas in any of the stories, but that's neither here nor there .Clarks adaptation is not only very creepy in parts its down right unsettling, ghostly hauntings of the two children are positively nerve jangling . Also the fact this was shot in the 1970;s gives the overall feel of the film a kinda of antiquated Victorian quality, something which a modern version could never capture, especially the washed out colourless look of the film stock.From Joseph O'Connor very eccentric performance to ghostly apparitions of the children, Clark's film is a little mini masterpiece, short but sweet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg losthearts4.JPG (28.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 71IOxLADllL._SL1500_.jpg (80.7 KB, 2 views)