Thread: Comedy Film
View Single Post
Old 7th December 2015, 05:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Chimp (1932)

The Chimp (1932)
Laurel and Hardy are a pair of circus performers working with Jimmy Finlayson (Ringmaster) and Tiny Sandford (Destructo),we first see the pair come on as a pantomime horse, then they help Destructo with his stage act, they inadvertently fill his cannon up with too much gun powder and blow the circus tent down. Unfortunately the circus can't pay any of its employees so all the performers are given something form the circus as payment. Stan gets the flea circus and Olly gets Ethel the gorilla dressed in ballet tutu. While trying to rent a room in a hotel ,Billy Gilbert (Landlord) refuses them until they get rid of Ethel. Meanwhile MGM (lion) is also in town looking for a room. They decide to dress Ethel up in Olly's clothes because the landlord won't notice the difference? The Chimp is basically Laughing Gravy remake but instead of a little dog you get a bloody great gorilla Charles Gemora (Ethel the gorilla). Although I really love Laughing Gravy, There's some much more scope for laffs when you got a gorilla around, the constant looks of amorous affection that Ethel gives Stan are only equalled by antagonise Olly constantly. Ethel is also pretty light are on her see how elegantly she dances with Stan. Just to add confusion to all the merriment the landlords wife is called Ethel as well, which is sure to cause confusion because he thinks his wife is being unfaithful, and when he bursts into Laurel and Hardy room thinking that his wife is under the bed sheets ,he declares "the mother of my children", which is news to Laurel and Hardy as its there Ethel under the bed sheets. You know you got a great film when a gorilla in a hat winks, lovingly at Stanley, then proceeds to beat Olly with a bit of wood then stick him in a wooden cage. I also watched the colorized version and as I thought it looks horrible.

Oliver (Oliver Hardy): Well, I can’t sleep with the monkey!
Stan (Stan Laurel): Oh, she doesn’t mind. [to Ethel] You don’t mind sleeping with Ollie, do you? [to Ollie] No, she doesn’t.]