Thread: Comedy Film
View Single Post
Old 31st January 2016, 07:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Holiday On The Buses. (1973)

Holiday On The Buses. (1973)

A redux-post of my review in honour of Dems joining the bus company.

The third and last in the trilogy this sees the cast go all Hi De HI as they go to Pontins holiday park at Prestatyn Sands near Rhyl Wales.So as you could imagine were not talking baking hot sun and golden beaches,so instead of Girls Go Wild style shenanigans we get to see Anna Karen in a rather ill fitting bikini and then her bum (although a stunt bum was used for the close up,and this is one of the few times I can re-call a censor cut when aired on TV one afternoon. This happened again over the Xmas period 2015 boxing day,I was watching it with a few mates on ITV 3 or whatever it was and nearly had a fit as I shouted "they've cut Olive's bum" not something you would usually shout in public.).
I noticed that a couple of scenes seemed to be filmed using real holiday makers in the background,as I noticed in the part where Blakey chases Stan through an outdoor paddling pool,a little boy tries to help Stan out, which gave a rather Dogme film approach. Its basically Stan and Jack chasing birds but instead of clippies its holiday makers instead.Plot wise its just one mishap followed by another strung together with the odd close up shot of any passing cleavage.All the cast are present and correct although at the time Reg Varney and Michael Robbins had both left the TV series.
Also unusually we got some 1970s star names turning up in the cast the wonderful Wilfred Brambell plays a lecherous OAP lusting after Doris Hare,we got the busty Kate Williams from Love Thy Neighbour as Blakeys love interest,yes you heard right,well up until Jack (Bob Grant) shags her and is caught in the act. Arthur Mullard and Queenie Watts play a pair of loud cockneys and Henry McGee straight man on The Benny Hill show as the camp manager.
Listen this film is not going to convert you if your not a fan,neither will it please anybody remotely PC but you don't watch On The Buses for its politics.What I truly love about watching the films and Tv series is seeing another Britain,its basically my childhood in all its gaudy light browns and beige clothes and nicotine stained glory. Its been nearly 40 odd years since the shows were made and they still get watched,that alone speaks volumes.