View Single Post
Old 21st July 2016, 09:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Episode 3.05 Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are

Main Cast: Lynda Day George (Cathy Moore), Peter Jeffrey (Dexter), John Carson (Arthur Lewis), Colette O'Neil (Alice Lewis), Bernard Holley (Paul Eastman), Richard Corbet (Reeves), Kathleen Mallory (Jane Howard), John Line (Davis), Molly Weir (Miss Pendy), Kevin Brennan (Parminter).

Ah, the time-worn story of a distressed lady looking for a travelling companion that no-one else seems to think exists! How I missed thee! Of course, my jaded opinion is based on an old-chestnut that might not have been such an old-chestnut in the early seventies when this was first aired. Anyway, to say the plot of this thriller was familiar is to take away from an excellent episode. It may have been familiar but it kept me riveted throughout and I guessed only half the sting in this particular tale.

A great part of the enjoyment came from a rather shabby cast of characters – the alcoholic inn-keep who may have a skeleton in the closet (well played by John Carson) and the policeman who is certainly sexist and possibly violent.

Although the climax was not entirely unexpected and told in part in wibbly-wobbly 'this happened in the past', I thoroughly enjoyed this one and have to single out the performance of Peter Jeffrey as the rather concerning copper Dexter as an episode highlight – Not the kind of policeman i'd want anywhere near me in a crime, but fine thriller viewing!

Score 4 out of 5