Thread: Western Movies
View Single Post
Old 31st July 2016, 06:31 PM
Cult Addict

May i?
Bone Tomahawk.

Finally got around to watching this yesterday. When a suspicious drifter strolls into the inn in the pleasant frontier town of Bright Hope, Kurt Russell's, Sheriff Hunt decides to question the man, shooting him in the leg when he tries to flee. Sticking him in a cell the Sheriff sends Bruder to fetch the towns female doctor. Leaving the doctor, the prisoner and a deputy at the station the Sheriff heads home to his wife. Next morning all three are missing and a local stablehand is found butchered. A local indian guide identifies arrows found at the scene as belonging to a small remote cave dwelling tribe in the mountains a few days trek from Bright Hope. Sheriff Hunt, his deputy Chicory (a fantastic turn from Richard Jenkins) Brooder and the docs crippled husband Arthur set off on a rescue mission. So far so Searchers. Except here is where things get interesting. These aren't your average cliche Western redskins. These things are bloody scary, barely human and a genuinely unnerving sight to behold. S.Craig Zahlers western/horror is deserving of every bit of hype its recieved, from the opening scene, to the climax this film contains some of the most disturbing scenes I've seen in a long time. Performancea across the board are pitch perfect, especially as I've said Richard Jenkins as old timer Deputy Chicory a man still mourning the loss of his wife and determined to be more than just an old man. It takes obvious inspiration from Fords supposed classic The Searchers though it pisses all over it in the process, but then so does Police Academy 5 as far as I'm concerned. There's more than a nod to The Hills Have Eyes here too. Brilliant brilliant film that isn't scared to take its time getting where it's going, highly recommended.