View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2016, 10:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Doomsday (2008)

Following an outbreak of the deadly Reaper virus in Scotland the country is walled off and it's inhabitants left to die. Decades later the virus returns to threaten London, so battle hardened Rhona Mitra is sent with a military team into the wilderness that is now Scotland to seek a cure.

Director Neil Marshall's third film is a hard as nails mix of Escape From New York, Mad Max 2, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and 28 Days Later.

Filmed on a much bigger budget than previous efforts Dog Soldiers (2002) and The Descent (2005), Doomsday is a rampaging post apocalyptic action / road movie, full of breathtaking stunts, gory horror and scene stealing performances from the likes of Bob Hoskins, Malcolm McDowell and David O'Hara as a politician whose as corrupt as they come. Mitra handles a tough role well and it's a shame her career never really took off to the level of superstardom she might have deserved.

Doomsday has it's critics that suggest the film is too derivative of the many post-ap films that came before it, but i see it more as a homage from a director who is a fan of the genre, and i love it.

Yeah, i quite like Doomsday, but IMO it's the weakest of his first 3 films. Which is to say, better than a lot of others! Stylistically, Doomsday actually reminds me a bit of Ghosts of Mars (which i don't think is that bad).

I'm a big fan of Christopher Smith too. Creep, Severance, Black Death and Triangle is some good shit.