View Single Post
Old 19th October 2016, 11:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A terrific review of Hannibal, Mac.

I am one of those who hasn't seen it for years. However unlike most i do really like it. (I like all four films that came out as 'sequels' or on the back of Silence of the Lambs)

The classical motifs really struck a chord with me in particular the parts set in Florence and it's Uffizi gallery. I was awestruck when i went round the gallery, it was just wow and along with Rome and Verona one of my favourite cities.

I'm not going to watch it yet but i think during November it will be a definite rewatch.
Cheers, Dem. I've always loved this film (this and Manhunter are some of my all time favourites) and it's nice to know that I'm not the only one.

Hannibal is a very Catholic film in its themes of guilt and redemption, and it really sits well with the Florence setting. Interestingly, Dante's home was Florence but he was forced into exile due to his political affiliations in Florence. As much as he longed to return, he would have been burned at the stake. In a way, Florence represented both his Hell and his Heaven.