View Single Post
Old 8th November 2016, 08:59 PM
Cult Addict

RavagerP.jpg

Phantasm Ravager

Ok,well i like the Phantasm series but they don't make a lot of sense most of the time, but are usually a entertaining mix of bizarre imagery, spooky stuff and kick assery.
This ones no different, even though it may be potentially the last in the series it still refuses to pander to audience expectation and just kinda does it's own thing,I guess you gotta respect that in this era of by the numbers filmmaking.

There's a lot of opinion going about that the effects are shit, but i found them adequate and didn't detract too much from the story, hey i've seen a lot worse.

Storywise,well the usual with Reggie left to shoot stuff and act like a 70's drop out acid head, but the difference is he really seems to try to give it his all this time. The Tallman is used sparingly due to the obvious onset of illness in Angus, but this time the world is pretty much taken over by the spheres,which leads to some nifty new Phantasmagorical imagery.

This is offset by another reality where Reggie is grounded in the modern world in a nursing home and this part i found quite moving at times and thoughtful.

Does it tie up all the lose ends and explain everything, does it ****, i'm not even sure that the Don himself knows.
But i found it entertaining and enjoyable and thought i was more interesting than parts 3 and 4 at least.

A decent 7 from me.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.