Thread: UK rights?
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2008, 06:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes on the first submission in 1998 the BBFC sent them a cuts list to remove all martial arts weaponry but when they viewed the cut version they decided that this version was not acceptable after all under the terms of the VRA. It was actually Andreas Whittam Smiths decision to ban the film. So yes their view was that the film was irresponsible and likely to be harmful to society etc. Didn't surprise me that they banned it as it was a pretty violent film (the climax in the alley way for example and the strong drug use) this was also, only 3 years after they banned Kickboxer 4, Mikey and Back in Action. In the late 90's they were becoming very strict again, this was partly due to the amendment made to the VRA in 1994. The film certainly wouldn't have any problems today.

I don't think the film has been re-submitted to the BBFC since 1998. I did hear once that they were going to re-submit but don't think they ever did. Bebber's My Sweet Satan also had problems with the BBFC when almost all the climatic scene had to be removed. Would pass uncut today.

Last edited by Angel; 8th May 2008 at 06:20 AM.