View Single Post
Old 13th January 2017, 05:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Really excited to finally watch it i have heard so much about it.
I had heard so much about El Topo and The Holy Mountain over the years. Back in the day it was THE cult film to see and was extremely difficult to get hold of. Then I got a copy of both and sat down eagerly to watch them.

You read all these reviews saying, "Surreal", "Masterpiece" and "A mind trip"...well El Topo could be described as all of those but could also be called, "Nonsensical", "Confusing" and "Up its own arse!"
Some of the compositions are art itself, beautifully portrayed and scoped in a "picture is worth a thousand words" way. I'm sure there are underlying meanings I'm far too thick to get, allegories that are just beyond my conscious level. I just didn't get it. It's watchable but not twice. I think it would be far better under the influence (Not a recommendation, okay?) of LSD or psilocybin but without those, best of luck, mate!

It put me of watching The Holy Mountain so much that I have never got around to watching it. It's me, my fault, I just don't understand what they're trying to tell me when they cut open a person and birds fly out the wound - anyone help me with that one? Everyone else calls it a masterpiece and lavishes praise on it so I guess I'm just a Philistine wandering around Fulci's Beyond.

Would love to read what others opinions are of these two.