View Single Post
Old 24th January 2017, 01:13 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
What are you going to watch? I'm going tomorrow afternoon but can't decide between Lion and Jackie.
I've seen both and they are both extremely good films, but very different. Lion is slightly misrepresented in the trailer, which underplays how much of the film is set in India – the entire first act takes place there with the main character as a child and the language in either Hindi or Bengali and English subtitles on screen. This is important because when the film moves to Australia (Tasmania) and follows his research into where he came from, whether what he's doing is morally right, and the incongruence caused by being someone who doesn't know where to call 'home' only has an emotional impact because of what you saw of him as a child.

Jackie is remarkable for Natalie Portman's tour de force performance and the extraordinary cinematography and score. It is something I would like to watch again at the cinema but will probably not be able to because there are so many good films coming out and so little time in which to watch them.

Both are well worth watching and there isn't a bad option.