View Single Post
Old 19th March 2017, 12:57 PM
Cult Addict

The Monolith Monsters

the-monolith-monsters1.jpg

Begins with a Ed Wood/ Criswell style voice over introduction that seems to promise a B movie cheese fest, but this ends up being surprisingly serious in the way it deals with its bizarre subject matter.

A meteor crashes to earth bringing with it sinister black space rocks which reproduce when they come into contact with water.
Eh… come again?!?, how can rocks be scary.
Therein lies the greatness of the film, taking something benign and actually making a decent sic-fi invasion flick out of it.

The rocks grow when in contact with water then crumble when they reach colossal heights, falling to the ground destroying houses and crushing the inhabitants. Shattering as they fall,each small piece repeats the cycle, so effectively moving across the landscape in a creeping fungal style fashion.

So in a way this has more in common with a inferno/fire/disease outbreak style disaster flick than the usual 50’s alien invasions.

Humans that come into contact with large amounts of the rock are found "turned to stone”.
A little girl slowly begins turning to stone and the reproducing Monoliths are about to descend upon a peaceful town and destroy everything in their path.
So it’s a race against time for a scientist and his school teacher girlfriend to find a cure and end the invasion.

This shouldn’t work at all in theory and sounds really dull, but what we get is a decently acted, enjoyably entertaining and unique film.
I saw this as kid at my grans house one afternoon on T.V and it always stuck in my head, but thought it would turn out to be dull on rewatch. Happily i can say i enjoyed it once again, it’s no masterpiece but is a perfectly entertaining slice of hokum.
An enjoyable 7/10 from me.

vlcsnap-317886.jpg

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.