View Single Post
Old 26th March 2017, 06:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Editor (2016)

Rey Ciso was once Italy's best film editor. However an accident left him with four wooden fingers and he resorted to editing pulp Italian movies like giallo and Poliziotteschi. When the stars of the films Rey works on start turning up dead with their fingers missing Rey is soon the main suspect and sets out to prove his innocence. However the bodies continue to pile up.

The Editor is quite unlike anything i've seen before. It's clearly a send up of the whole Giallo genre and includes numerous moments where i thought to myself "Where have i seen that before?" as it references the films we know and love, from Argento, Fulci and Martino to later offerings such as Eyes of Crystal (2004).

During the opening third i do admit to being confused by it all. Was it a comedy? Was it a straight up Giallo thriller? or was it a needless piss take? But as events unfolded and i got to know the characters it became clear that The Editor was indeed a spoof but a lovingly produced one at that by people who love Italian pulp movies for people who love them. Not a spoof as in Scary Movie and it's countless sequels.

There are quite a few laughs to be had, not in a slapstick way but as genre in-jokes. The line where Ciso asks the police inspector why he's always wearing the same clothes, still tickles me almost a day later in fact. However the film isn't all fun or parody. There are copious amounts of nudity (both female and male) and some genuinely gut wrenching murders that would have graced the genre's finest movies.

Due to the fact that it is a spoof i don't think everyone will like it. However i saw it as charming tribute to one of my favourite film genres and warmed to it far more than other recent attempts to resurrect the Giallo such as Amer (2009), a film that truly was style over substance.

The Editor is highly recommended tribute to Giallo cinema.

Check out the reverse cover artwork below - lovely!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4514 (Large).jpg (91.8 KB, 9 views)