View Single Post
Old 11th April 2017, 02:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Re-watched Rogue One and enjoyed it more than on my initial viewing. It's a solid 3.5/5 film.

I felt pretty disappointed yesterday as I expected a truly killer film after all of the hugely positive good press that the film has gotten. It's just decent, nothing really wrong with that. Still very happy to own an eighth Star Wars film in my blu-ray collection. James Earl Jones sounds a bit off as Vader as there's apparently no disguising the age in his voice and the cgi Cushing looks suspect as the technology just isn't up to scratch yet. That use of Cushing cgi will probably badly age the film in a few years.

I felt that the young Princess Leia cgi shot worked better as you only see her for a short moment as opposed to the Tarkin character which is pretty heavily featured in dialogue scenes. It has to be said that Alan Tudyk's droid and Donnie Yen's blind force devotee steal the entire movie. Rogue One - recommended to Star Wars fans but some remarks about it being the best entry since Empire Strikes Back are way off base. I'll be interested to see if the Solo early years film is a better "A Star Wars story" film as I'm not very excited about that one. Hopefully I'll turn out better than I am expecting.