View Single Post
Old 15th April 2017, 10:16 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-7 View Post
Worst remake is Nightmare on Elm Street- awful film and Freddy looked like a video game character.
I didn't like the film at all, but I thought there were some fun ideas in the Elm St remake. If I'd cared about the humans in any way, shape or form, it might've been more fun. Thought Jackie Earle Haley was fantastic, especially as human Freddy. Can see where you're coming from though.

Best: Not sure if this counts, but RZ's Halloween 2. Absolutely floored by the director's cut of that. The brutality of it all and the way Laurie is completely torn apart by the events of the first film really hit me hard in a way I wasn't expecting. It was a slasher movie with proper consequences to the violence. The scene where Brad Dourif finds his daughter is heartbreaking stuff. It's not perfect and it's very different from where the series started, so I can see how it'd rub people the wrong way, but the way it takes the standard slasher formula and destroys it by making the deaths genuinely quite upsetting and the violence really mean something makes it one of my favourite modern horrors.

Worst: I really didn't like the TCM remake when it came out, but I might give it another chance since so many people seem to be OK with it. Maybe I went at it with the wrong attitude. I got one, though. Not quite a remake, again, but I accidentally bought the wrong version of Night of the Living Dead on VHS as a kid. I'd seen the film for the first time on TV and it slayed me. It was amazing. And then I bought that crappy 25th anniversary version or whatever it was, where one of the original producers had shot new material and inserted it into the film. Appalling.

Most wanted: How about a found footage Candyman? Found footage is a bit hit and miss, but the scenario - researcher looking into an urban myth - lends itself well to it. I wouldn't be into a straight remake of it in the normal style as I don't think the original can be topped at all, but I'd be curious to see this.