View Single Post
Old 26th April 2017, 02:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Who Saw Her Die (1972)

George Lazenby plays a Venice sculptor whose life is turned upside down when his daughter is murdered. With the police unable to find any clues, Lazenby attempts to find the killer himself.

Who Saw Her Die was only the second gialli i ever bought as part of a four film Anchor Bay set way back in 2002. (The Pyjama Girl Case was the first via a Redemption vhs). Over the years i've seen it several times and it still stands up as one of my all time favourites.

As it's set in Venice it's often compared to Roeg's classic Don't Look Now (1973), but if you are reading carefully you'll already have noticed which film should be compared to which. The Venice we see on screen isn't the popular tourist destination, it's an eerie and atmospheric city, one of shadows and ghosts and complements the action beautifully.

It's a film that deals with the killing of a child in a sensitive manner, director Aldo Lado doesn't assault us with gore and sex. There is sex but it's not for titillation, more a way to deal with loss and grief between two estranged parents sadly reunited in the worst of circumstances. You know the more i think about said sex scene the more i think Roeg swiped it from Who Saw Her Die, the way it's intercut with the two reflecting on events is surely more than mere coincidence. George Lazenby, some three years after his stint as James Bond shows his acting chops with a terrific performance, in fact with his long hair, moustache and frankly craggy face he looks no more the suave secret agent than i do. He's ably supported by the gorgeous Anita Strindberg and a scene stealing cameo from former Bond villain (Thunderball) Adolfo Celi.

Although the film lacks the lurid excesses of many gialli, Lado keeps the pace ticking over nicely, keeping the viewer involved and gripped, as does Ennio Morricone's superb score which is in turns memorable and ever so disturbing with it's child choir to the fore.

Who Saw Her Die is a classy, stylish giallo and one i highly recommend.