View Single Post
Old 5th June 2017, 04:40 PM
Cult Addict

The Spy Who Loved Me. 1977. Lewis Gilbert.

Its been years since i watched any classic James Bond, particularly the Roger Moore era films. So given Sir Rogers recent passing i decided to dig one out the other night. My favourite has always been The Man With the Golden Gun but i thought I'd go with this one. One of the most highly regarded films of the franchise it's actually one i remember finding a little underwhelming on my last viewing, sometime in the dark ages.
Starting off with a cracking ski chase/shootout somewhere in Austria that culminates in the iconic parachute jump (one of the most famous stunts of the whole franchise) the action absolutely rattles along as Agent 007 is partnered with the gorgeous Barbara Bach as Russian agent Anya Asamova to investigate the mysterious disappearance of both Soviet and US nuclear submarines. Featuring such franchise highlights as the Bonds underwater car and metal mouthed henchman Jaws the films still manages to maintain a grounded feel and the later scenes aboard villain Strombergs ocean liner almost have the feel of classic war films. Cracking stuff and a film my memory clearly lied to me about. Might give Moores debut Live and Let Die a spin this week.