View Single Post
Old 20th June 2017, 01:04 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Here are my top 10 and 'honourable mentions' lists as usual, in alphabetical order:
  • Alien – Ash is such a great character, but David from Prometheus and Alien: Covenant could be an even better antagonist.
  • Blade Runner – all the replicants are brilliant, but Roy Batty and Deckard are the pick of the bunch.
  • Forbidden Planet – I would contend that no list is complete without Robby the Robot.
  • The Matrix – I love the design of the sentinels
  • RoboCop – I'm always torn between whether my favourite 'robot' is RoboCop/Murphy or ED-209, both iconic images of 1980s action cinema.
  • Silent Running – I adore Huey, Dewey and Louie, the three little drones who help out on the Valley Forge.
  • The Terminator – however cool the liquid alloy of the T-1000 is, I love the slightly clunky and mechanical T-800 because it's more tangible and 'real'.
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey – this may be a little cheat, but HAL-9000 is one of the all-time great movie villains.
  • WALL-E – I love the titular character and EVE, plus all the other robots on the Axiom, and the interaction between the two main characters always makes me cry.
  • The Wizard of Oz – the Tin Man may not be the greatest robot in history, but he's one of the most influential and endearing and even though I'm no 'friend of Dorothy's', I love this movie.

Honourable mentions:
  • A.I. Artificial Intelligence
  • Aliens
  • Big Hero 6
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
  • Demon Seed
  • Ex Machina
  • Ghost in the Shell (1995)
  • Hardware
  • Interstellar
  • Metropolis
  • Short Circuit (Johnny-5)