Thread: Game of Thrones
View Single Post
Old 8th August 2017, 10:16 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As for last night's episode – Spoils of War – which followed previous patterns of 30-40 minutes of political machinations and then 10 minutes of carnage, I thought it was superb. There is much to love and discuss, so it's something that will need to be seen several times to appreciate every nuance, probably something which will be done before watching the season finale, after the season is finished, or both.

The final attack by the Dothraki and Dany on Jaimie's forces, butchering and immolating them, and burning their food supplies, was expertly done by the director, actors, stunt people and VFX artists – majestic carnage on a cinematic scale. (That moment where the horse had its leg chopped off made me wince.)

When I said about lines seemingly not meaning much but carrying a great deal of weight, the moment when Bran said something to Littlefinger, making Baelish react more noticeably than he ever has done before, was done so quickly I didn't catch what was said. I had to ask someone and the line was "chaos is a ladder", something which he will have learned as the Three-Eyed Raven, because it was a private conversation between Baelish and Varys in season three. Baelish (like Meera when she expected an emotional parting, Sansa, Arya, and everyone else he will meet) will soon realise Bran is long gone and the Three-Eyed Raven is a very powerful entity who knows everything that ever happened in the Seven Kingdoms.

The ending leaves Jaimie's future up in the air. Will he drown, be taken prisoner and spend his days arguing with Tyrion, or will the to strike an alliance against Cersei, or make his way back to King's Landing to confront his sister/lover with the truth about Joffrey?

Whatever happens, the dagger is certain to feature in the next 12 episodes as it is made of Valyrian steel, and was initially present from Joffrey to the man who nearly killed Bran.