View Single Post
Old 11th September 2017, 08:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Urban Ghost Story (1998)

A rather nifty little low budget ghost story set in a run down Scottish apartment block. In this instance the pittance of a budget really doesn't matter as it means the film makers especially director Geneviève Jolliffe have to be creative and it really works in the films favour as the typical jump scares are out and tension and things that go bump in the night are in. Think The Haunting (1963) albeit in a council flat, rather than Insidious.

I won't go into the story as i think it best to let it all unfold as you watch. I hate to keep saying low budget but the film was made for a paltry £250k yet sports two terrific set pieces worthy of far bigger productions, one of them palm whiteningly gripping, and also an excellent cast including Jason Connery, Nicola Stapleton, James Cosmo and a pre-Pippin Billy Boyd. Special mention must go to Stephanie Buttle as the under pressure mother and unknown Heather Ann Foster as her daughter and the centre of the ghostly goings on.

The film isn't flashy, it's grim and gritty, a fantastic example of grittish horror as someone on here once coined it with a quietly effective and moving finale.

Urban Ghost Story is a film i really recommend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3208784.jpg (24.9 KB, 3 views)