View Single Post
Old 14th September 2017, 04:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
IT

I was hoping I wouldn't have to write this. But....

It is a film of two halves.

The first half is a surprisingly competent drama. The child actors are uniformly great and the script is well crafted with some great dialogue. Some things are actually a little improved. Henry Bowers for example is a far more plausible character. Previously he was written as a generic greaser thug in the TV movie adaptation and in the book a repressed homosexual with psychopathic tendencies. Here he's a loathsome character however we see in his interactions with his father that he's trapped in a cycle of abuse. He's a more relateable character. The changes made make sense and the film has made an R-Rating pay off which means we should stop getting deluged with PG13 fluff.

However....

It's not scary.

Pennywise isn't at all threatening, there is little build up to scares and when he does let loose so does the computer effects. It also didn't help that it felt I was listening to scooby doo whenever he spoke but the overuse of CGI and the LOUD NOISE jump scares ware thin. I think it really made me appreciate how good Tim Curry is. Given he was given a lot less to work with his performance trounces this one easily.

Overall IT is a good movie. Hell, in places it's a great movie. Its technically better than the TV version for sure. It's just a bad horror movie. It's just very weird to say as a horror I found myself preferring Annabelle Creation. I did not see that coming.
Can't find the link now but apparently its becoming the biggest seller horror ever .
Like most films their that much hype surrounding it expectations are high, only for it to turn out to be good but not that good ..
That's why nowadays I go with films I don't know much about now because your almost going into the film blind with no expectations .