View Single Post
Old 8th October 2017, 02:27 PM
Cult Addict

Watched a couple of Giallo films which i'd not seen before.

5 Dolls for an August moon

five-dolls-for-an-august-moon (1).jpg

A lesser Bava film, but one which i found entertaining.
As with a lot of Giallo films the story doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense and the ending doesn't really hold together but there is just something about the genre that keeps drawing me back.

This one is about a group of people all brought together on an island to get smashed and some scientist guy, who has invented a new 'Resin' that everybody wants the formula for because it will make a shit tonne of money.

Just an excuse to show some mental dancing, bad fashion, a few boobs, kill off a load of people then and play some groovy music.

Because it's Bava though he manages to sneak in some stylish shots and camera angles/ lighting.

Edwige Fenech shows her face as usual, here sporting some really big hair and doing some dancing.

I enjoyed it but it's all a bit giallo lite.

dolls.jpg

7/10

Eyeball

51SNWPC457L._SY445_.jpg

Umberto Lenzi's optic bothering Giallo was another first watch, like '5 dolls' i found it enjoyable but nothing really special.
This one is not as stylish as Bava's film and spends a lot of time on police procedure, which is something that always is guaranteed to slow down a Giallo film.

This ones about a coach load of tourists going around Barcelona, who are getting offed one by one by a killer who likes to dress in a red plastic raincoat, said killer also has a thing about eyes and routinely gouges out the left eyeball as a trophy.

Anyway there are some good scenes in this, a murder on a ghost train, a photographer's death and the conclusion stood out, but all of the killings were very similar, and some of them are quickly over where the director should have created a bit more tension.

As usual with this genre, there's the odd tit shot and a groovy theme to make up for any plot shortcomings.

eyeball2.jpg

7/10

I think both of these films i will probably grow to like more on further viewings,
I enjoyed both but i think i was expecting a little more than they delivered.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.