View Single Post
Old 12th October 2017, 08:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

All this week I've been seeing ads for Roger Waters' 2018 Dublin concert , and it's inspired me to dip into Pink Floyd again and this morning I've gone back to my first and favourite Floyd album, Ummagumma, or to be more precise, Ummagumma (8-Track Cartridge). Last year I stumbled upon the 8-Track Cartridge edition of the album which comes with a completely different track order, dispensing with the Live and Studio sides, and mixing the solo contributions with the songs recorded at Birmingham & Manchester - so Rick Wright’s Sysyphus flows into Astronomy Domine which is followed by Roger Waters’ Grantchester Meadows and so on. This is not so much a fan-edit on my part, more like an alternative Ummagumma experience and I find myself enjoying the album as a complete work – in the past I’ve been guilty of neglecting Rick Wright and Nick Mason's tracks, but with this new map of the album, I tend to listen to the album from beginning to end.