View Single Post
Old 18th December 2017, 12:42 AM
Cult Addict

Star wars the last Jedi

Second (or possibly third) film I've seen this year where there's been a reported disconnect with the critics and the fans. Great thought I. This means I'll like it. And I did.

I think I know what happened.

The critics went in and judged it as a film. Its a solidly entertaining ride that gets a little flabby in its second act but pays off with its third. Characters develop. Things are revealed. And not all of it like the deluge of sh*te that's been appearing in my social media feed all year long.

And there's where the fans come in. People invested in the secret lineage of certain characters, whether the villain is some shadowy behind the scenes puppet master. Whether it'll all tie up in a neat bow or whether they can turn to their friends and say "see I was right". These people probably sat there feeling totally screwed that its not more fan service like force awakens. I liked force awakens but after the awful mess of the prequels it feels like they might have wanted people to know that the new creative team were fans of the originals. Unfortunately for some its an 'iron man 3' in that it decides not to pander and instead try and tell a story that might still offer a little bit of surprise to people who are used to getting everything spoon fed to them prior to release.

Are these fans wrong to feel this way... Well I can't tell people how to feel, nor should I. And if Hollywood wants to complain well they created this beast thats now biting their hand.

Either way. I saw a good movie tonight that's along with the earlier Rogue one has been the most fun I've had with Star wars in a long time. Consider me sold on it.