View Single Post
Old 4th January 2018, 09:18 AM
Cult Addict

There's always vanilla

A Vietnam veteran returns to Pittsburgh after several years drifting. He ends up shacking up with an older model. Things begin to sour when she realises he's massively unreliable and when she realises she's pregnant she decides to leave.
Very different to anything else that Romero directed. He didn't write it and it really shows in the story that feels a little too much like its trying to be 'right on' and ends up feeling a little pretentious, something he always managed to avoid in his own projects. The film had a toxic effect on the latent image group and according to the supplemental material everyone involved lawyer-ed up.
Romero himself practically disowned the film stating its something he edited but didn't direct and complains there was no money to shoot the things he wanted to shoot.
Its not bad. Certainly its his weakest film and it was essentially dated upon its release. There's a scene with a backstreet abortion that was rendered almost pointless after Roe Vs Wade made abortions legal. However its a real time capsule piece along the lines of eggshells.

Season of the witch

A bored housewife feeling trapped as she heads into middle age begins meddling with the occult to affect change in her life with some dark consequences.
More like the sort of films Romero would be famous for. Season isn't a straight ahead horror. There's a real dark undercurrent to proceedings and it feels like his attempt to make something along the lines of Ingmar Bergmans Persona. I liked this a lot more this time round. I used to think it was one of his weaker entries and Romero himself always wanted to remake it as there were ideas in the film that he wanted to develop further. In spite of its flaws its a smart idea that actually works better than I used to give it credit for.