View Single Post
Old 4th January 2018, 03:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Mother Joan of the Angels (1961)

Based on the same events as Ken Russell's The Devils (1971) - a real life outbreak of mass hysteria in the French town of Loudun in 1634 that occurred when a convent of Ursuline nuns, led by the hunchbacked Sister Jeanne of the Angels, became obsessed with a handsome, womanising priest, Urbain Grandier - This doesn't tread the same ground as it takes place in the years following Grandier's burning at the stake and follows a priest who goes to the nunnery as the nuns are still believed to be possessed.

Whilst it lacks the sensationalism of Russell's film and is expressionistic rather than exploitative, - the burnt remains of the stake are still outside the nunnery and leave a haunting reminder of what has gone before - Mother Joan of the Angels is a hypnotic, minimalistic, stunningly photographed piece of Polish film making that will haunt your thoughts for days to come.
I bought the Second Run DVD about 2 years and for some reason I've still not watched it! I'm going to give it a chance this month, thanks for the nudge

Triumphant sight on a northern sky