View Single Post
Old 9th January 2018, 02:35 AM
Cult Addict

The girl with all the gifts.

MV5BYjQ1NjJmMWEtOWQ4NC00MzQwLThhMjctOTUxMTE4YWM3MGQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzkxMzI1ODk@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg

I wasn't sure what to expect from this, hearing it was a zombie film with a twist, so thought i'd try and avoid too much info and just bung it on.

It is a zombie film in the same way as 28 days later, in that it shares so much DNA with the genre that it is easy to describe it as such, with a virus/infection that spreads through the population but here it is plant based.
A fungal/spore infection that seems to have a lot in common with the one in the
great game "The Last of us".

In both instances the focus is on a girl who may be the key to a cure and an attempt to survive a trip through the heart of the infested wasteland.

Here we have a kind female teacher type, a couple of soldiers and a scientist, who are at first fearful of the titular girl (she is infected but retains her intelligence), then seem to come to respect her more as they face challenges together.

horizontal.jpeg

The performances from the leads are all excellent, with the girl really acting well above the range you would expect for someone her age.

lionsgate-0D88-DF85-571D-3C64-01C4-7-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-us-US-1501867156609._RI_SX940_.jpg

I have to say this was very well made and acted and atmospheric, the music is really interesting and is something that really stood out for me in the way it knits the post apocalyptic vision and the performances together.

Like 28 days it is a low budget British affair, but this works in it's favour, centering on performance,story and atmosphere rather than effects and explosions. One thing that i really liked were the infected standing around in a kind of haze until being triggered by sound and motion, this created some nice tense moments and reminded be of the "Blind dead" films.

I'm not sure i totally bought the ending, but it creates a nice circular element to the story, and i would definitely watch the film again as I really enjoyed it and was gripped throughout.

I picked up the dvd from CEX for £2, at that price it would be rude not to give it a go.

Recommended 8/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 9th January 2018 at 02:49 AM.