View Single Post
Old 14th January 2018, 08:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Picked up the Blu ray of the new part-animated Shada last week and watched it last night. I was a little wary, as I love the 'original' Tom-narrated Shada from the early-90s and feared I might not like this version as much. However, for the most part, that didn't happen. There are a few quibbles, like the 'old Tom' ending, which seems pretty random and WTH, and the decision to present it as a movie when there seems zero reason not to present it in the intended episodic format is also fairly bizarre. The new version is obviously quite a lot longer, which makes the pace inevitably not quite as zippy as the narrated version... and yet, for that and my minor quibbles, I still absolutely loved it. Shada is a lovely story no matter how it's presented, and still one of my favourites. I also enjoyed the animation more than Power - whether it's actually better, or just easier to take when mixed with live-action, or better in colour or more suited to this style of story is debatable, but I still did. I would very much like to see more like this - how about animating some BFs like the Tom/Lalla Romance of Crime, or a 'Lost Story' like The Nightmare Fair?

Very happy with this, though.